However, it is important to understand that this recurrent pulling out of hair from the scalp can damage the hair follicles, leading to hair loss or even permanent baldness. According to the top hair transplant surgeons in Delhi, though this hair pulling behaviour often provides a sense of relief to the people, it can lead to all kinds of hair problems.
Some of the major signs and symptoms of trichotillomania include:
• Repeatedly pulling out of hair from different parts of the body
• Increased sense of distress before pulling out the hair strands
• A sense of ecstasy after pulling out the hair
• Noticeable hair loss, such as hair thinning on the scalp or other parts of the body
• Playing, chewing or eating the pulled out hair strands
The exact cause of trichotillomania is not clear. However, there are various factors that may contribute to the development of the condition. Some of the major factors include:
1. Genetics – Genes may play an extremely important role in the development of trichotillomania. This disorder is more likely to develop in those whose family members have been suffering from this condition.
2. Age – According to the best hair transplant surgeons, trichotillomania occurs to more girls than boys between 12-13 years of age. Though teenagers and young adults are more susceptible to this condition, it can affect people of all ages.
3. Stress or anxiety – Extreme levels of stress or anxiety may trigger trichotillomania.
4. Other disorders – People with trichotillomania may also suffer from other disorders such as depression or obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
As this disorder involves the continuous urge of pulling out the hair strands, here are some tips that can help prevent the condition:
• Whenever urge strikes, use a fidget toy
• Take a soothing shower to relieve stress or anxiety
• Practice deep breathing exercises until the urge vanishes
• Wear a tight-fitting hat to avoid hair pulling
Trichotillomania is a chronic disorder that requires early diagnosis and timely treatment. The first and foremost part of the treatment includes getting professional help. So if you’re experiencing any of the above symptoms, visit the best hair transplant clinic in Delhi which offer all types of scalp and hair loss treatments.
Copyright © 2019 Medlinks. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: The content published on this website (hairtransplantdelhi.org) is meant to spread awareness and educate the concerned patients regarding baldness and hair transplant as well as the treatments options available for the same. Any information on the website shall not be regarded as a prescription from a professional dermatologist. We recommend visiting a dermatologist in person for the right diagnosis and the treatment for any hair issues. We do not guarantee of specific results as the treatments and the results vary from person to person.