Detoxification for Hair – Yes, it exists!
Your hair goes through more melodrama you give it credit for. Stress, pig-tails, shampoos and conditioners, pollution, unhealthy diet – you know what we are getting at! Small things that we do every day with our hair makes them dry and brittle, and we end up using few more harmful products to make them shinier and softer, and sadly more weak. With baldness in men and hair fall in women on the rise, it is time that we all start taking care of our hair from the get-go.
Just like you give your body some rest every night, it is time to give your hair some rest and pampering too. But of a different kind. We are talking about detoxifying your hair to make them stronger and healthier from deep within. Let’s see how!
- The truth is that we do not protect our hair the way we protect our skin. Too much styling and colouring can lead to loss of volume, breakage, dullness, split ends, thinning & weakening of hair, and much more. For a complete detox, put an end to excessive styling and any kind of hair colouring (including hair dye) for at least a year.
- Cleanse your scalp with natural things once in a while to give them a chance to rejuvenate. Just like the pores on the skin, hair follicles too get clogged with dirt, oil, and product build-up. While shampooing, always start lathering at the nape of the neck and work up toward the hairline for the best cleaning. Once in a while, you can also add 1 tsp of sodium bicarbonate to 1 tbsp shampoo for residue-free strands.
- Lay off the heat and give your hair a break from all the hot irons and curlers. Too much heat scorches the hair and can fry it too. Try using large curlers to give them a natural bouncy style.
- A common problem that we all face is dry hair. To curb this problem, add some moisture to them before every wash through a carrier oil and a few drops of essential oils. Massage this mixture into the scalp and then wash the hair with a mild shampoo.
- To detoxify in order to get rid of dryness, split-ends, frizzy hair and breakage, use a natural mask once every fortnight. Choose a mask using easily available ingredients like eggs, olive oil, fruit juices, honey, tea tree oil, etc., that will suit the type of hair you have. Wash off this mask using lukewarm water and avoid using shampoo for the next 10-12 hours.
- Diet equals to detoxification for many of us. While it is important to go on a sugar-free, carb-less, full of fibre diet once in a week; it should be religiously followed and become a part of your lifestyle.
Your hair deserves all the love it can get. For a problem that you find rooted deeper than a mere lifestyle-hassle, do not hesitate to consult an experienced hair specialist.