Some facts about hair, Some Myths about Hair
There are many true facts regarding hair that exist in our society yet myths also exist as a part and parcel of the same coin. Myths are known to spread more easily than true facts so here are a couple of facts and myths regarding hair to make our patients aware of some facts and false beliefs operating within the society.
Some facts about hair
- The average amount of hair that a normal human being sheds everyday is about 50-150 strands. So don’t fret you aren’t going bald.
- A hair grows just a bit slower than bone marrow which is considered the fastest growing tissue in our body.
- Mostly 90% of our hairs are in the growing phase while the other 10% are in the resting phase.
- It’s been found that Asians possess better elasticity of hair and their hairs grow faster than any other races in the world.
- Trimming your hair wouldn’t influence hair growth in any way.
- When the hair gets wet it can stretch up to 30% of its original length.
- Each hair is like a hard disk of your body that contains all information of whatever has gone in your bloodstream so far, drugs you have taken in your lifetime and is used as evidence in forensic science.
- As soon as you pluck a hair from the follicle, a new one starts to grow in its place.
- A normal hair has a lifespan of around 5 years.
- It’s estimated that women’s hair half as thick as men’s.
Some Myths about Hair
- If you cut your hair frequently they will grow faster.
- Plucking one grey hair will result in growing of two gray hairs.
- Shampooing your hair leads to shedding of hair.
- Brushing your hair regularly will make them healthier.
- Hairs lose their strength if color is applied to them.
- Switching shampoos are beneficial for your hair.
- It’s advised to wash your hair every alternate day.
- Men are prone to inheriting baldness from their mother’s side.
- Wearing a hat can lead to hair loss.
- Drying your hair with a towel is beneficial for your hair.