Don’t we all wish to have only one reason to a problem? And when the problem is as grave as hairfall, which is leading people in huge numbers to opt for hair transplant treatment in cities like Gurgaon, Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, etc., in India; we all wish for only one reason to deal with.
Albeit, this is not the case. Out of many reasons for hair-fall, dandruff should be topping the list by now.
What is dandruff?
A chronic and the most common scalp condition, dandruff refers to the white flakes that appear on the scalp. This superficial skin layer made up of dead skin cells can be a result of unhealthy diet habits, illness, lack of hygiene, frequent usage of cosmetic products on the scalp, etc.
How does dandruff cause hairfall?
Dandruff flakes, which are dead skin cells result in itching and thus scratching of the scalp. Vigorous scratching weakens hair roots, ultimately leading to hair fall.
Though dandruff is not a serious or a contagious disease, if left untreated for longer time period, it can become itchy and inflamed causing temporary hair loss.
Home remedies to treat dandruff
- Coconut oil – with antifungal properties, coconut oil not only eliminates dandruff but also moisturizes dry scalp.
- Apple cider vinegar – along with restoring the pH balance of the scalp, apple cider inhibits the growth of yeast and helps clean clogged pores.
- Baking soda – removes dead skin cells, absorbs excess oil, helps balance pH levels, and reduces the growth of fungi that causes dandruff.
- White vinegar – with acetic acid, white vinegar prevents the growth of fungi on the scalp, thus reducing the urge to itch.
- Olive oil – a natural moisturizer, olive oil helps reducing dryness in the scalp by keeping it nourished.
- Coriander juice – essential proteins and vitamins in it not only helps reduce hair fall but also initiates growth of new hair.
- Tea tree oil – with antiseptic properties tea tree helps combating hair conditions including dandruff.
Along with these remedies steer clear of bad habits like switching shampoo often, tidying hair right after a wash, brushing vigorously, using heating tools, having an unbalanced diet, etc.
To fix hair loss caused by dandruff, one must get rid of the dandruff in the first place. Though there is nothing better than a home remedy, seeking medical help to prevent bad conditions from becoming worse is ideal.