Motherhood is the most celebrated period for any woman. The joy of giving birth to another human is exhilarating.
Every phase of pregnancy is special, but raises few interesting questions. One of them being – why are you losing your hair during pregnancy? And the second being – while you had a beautiful mane all through pregnancy, why are you losing hair post-delivery?
What is Telogen Effluvium?
90 per cent of your hair is in a growing phase at any given time, and the rest 10 per cent at a resting phase. Every 2-3 months the resting hair falls out, making way for new hair to grow in their place.
Due to the surge in hormones during pregnancy the resting phase is paused, resulting in a full-haired crown. Post-delivery when hormones are back to normal within 3-4 months, the resting hair shed.
Known as Telogen Effluvium, this affects almost 40-50 per cent of pregnant women.
Other reasons for hair loss
On the other hand, if you are experiencing hair loss during pregnancy, it could be due to:
- Genetic factors: if your mother experienced hair loss during her pregnancy, you are more likely to be affected by it.
- Illness & medication: illness like diabetes, skin infection such as ringworm, etc., and medication for problems like high blood pressure, anxiety, etc., might be causing hair loss.
- Hypothyroidism: caused by the decline of thyroid production in the body, it can be a reason for your condition too.
- Anaemia: the reduction of red blood cells in the body could be another cause.
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome: hair loss around the scalp may be because of hormonal imbalance caused when the ovaries produce excessive male hormones.
- Reproductive causes: sudden discontinuation of birth control pills, abortion, miscarriage, stillbirth, can be few more reasons.
Best ways to avoid hair loss during and after pregnancy
While there is no guarantee that you will be able to completely avoid hair loss, few female hair loss treatments like the ones listed below are known to be quite helpful:
- Ensure a proper balance of hormones under your doctor’s supervision.
- Avoid hair styles like tight pigtails, cornrows, braids, etc.
- Switch to hair care products that contain biotin and silica.
- Avoid fine tooth combs, especially when your hair are wet.
- Practice deep-breathing and exercise regularly to control stressful days.
- Eat a diet rich in flavonoids, antioxidants, vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin E, zinc, etc. Include a lot of fresh and raw food, and lentils in your meals.
Hair loss suffered during pregnancy and post-delivery is a temporary phase. Your hair will return to their natural self within a few months. In case you feel something is not right, consult your gynaecologist as well as a hair loss treatment clinic near you.