Human body has its own complex defense mechanism. The immune system of the body is so primitive and non-cultured that it knows only one way to heal and it is through elimination of the dead and diseased cells. If the natural immune system fails people generally takes antibiotics. Many people during their adulthood are prescribed antibiotics for acne and similar other cosmetic problems. However, Folliculitis is one of the side effects of prolonged use of such medicines.
Though Folliculitis caused due to such medication heals by itself once the medicines are discontinued and are also not generally associated with hair loss. But it is believed that if the problem is not tended to and it continues to spread even after discontinuation of antibiotics used to treat acne, then it might take severe forms and cause permanent hair loss.
Folliculitis is like malfunctioning of hair follicles. Though it can be caused due to various reasons that include use of contaminated swimming pool, prolonged hot bath, prolonged use of any particular cloth, poor hygiene and many other, but unless it takes severe form, one hardly notices its presence.
Moreover, not all types of severe Folliculitis are known to cause permanent hair loss. If you happen to be suffering from severe form of this disease, then you should consult a doctor and start with treatment. However, some of the severe types could cause scarring and discoloration of skin. But, the most problematic type happens to be one that results in permanent hair loss.
Types of sever Folliculitis that might further aggravate in absence of proper medical treatments and could cause permanent hair loss are
- Sycosis barbae – It is generally caused due to infections related to shaving
- Boils and carbuncles – it is caused due to infection from Staph bacteria
- Eosinophilic folliculitis – it is almost rare in healthy person and is associated with HIV patient
Aforementioned types of Folliculitis are known to aggravate and cause permanent hair loss. However, if proper medical treatment and correct dose of antibiotics is admisntered to the patient then it generally does lead to hair loss. Some other types of Folliculitis that look similar to the severe form but heal by their own are as follows.
- Staphylococcal folliculitis – it is also known as barber’s itch and is caused due to mild infection caused due to Staph bacteria
- Pseudomonas folliculitis – Caused due to swiiming/batching in contaminated hot water pool
- Pseudofolliculitis barbae – it is caused due to hair that grows within the skin surface
- Pityrosporum folliculitis – caused due to a type of yeast and effects teens and young people